Who is the Novice Needlepointer?
I followed my mother's sampler class. Columns of avocado green and beige wool thread stitched in classic needlepoint fashion. It was followed by a kit with the words "My Room" in colorful lettering. Completely done in a tent stitch. I seem to remember a gum-ball machine purchased from a shop in Highland Mall, Austin. This would have been circa 1971-1975 perhaps? Aunt Fran (actually friend of the family) was a needlecraft wiz. She gifted me with a dove a stitched for her many years ago right before her death.
Stitching as a Young Bride...
Shortly after getting married - probably the summer of 1980 - I took my first class at The Honey Tree (Bee?) in Austin. Like my mother, it was stitched traditionally with wool - green/teal, maroon/pink and off-white (the colors I wanted for my home... Yecch!!) It is made into a box pillow being tossed from room to room where as it matches NOTHING in the house!!
Confidence and a short-trip to advice (LNS was close) bloomed and I attacked bigger and more significant projects. Included in my accomplishments from this era are three stand-up wise-men and a camel, a stand-up Santa, a witch door-hanger, angel ornament, girl and boy stand-up bunnies, and a few gifts - a church ornament to my in-laws, a girl cowboy angel for my mother and a Santa flying an airplane for my father.
Teacher Burn-Out
Things began to heat up in my career - multiple responsibilities as well as horribly late hours. There was no time for myself or anything else. Too too much. Thank God my husband took a job in North Texas giving me permission to grant myself a reprieve... I quit after a ten years with the same district. Hardly 4 months went by at my new teaching job when I realized I was just too burned out. I had to take a break.
I spent several months devoted to needlepoint (rubber stamping as well). Cute ornaments kept me busy while I watched the OJ Simpson Criminal Trial during the days. They will forever be identified as "The OJ Ornaments." There are four I believe. It is also when my dear, wonderful mother-in-law bought me a Dazor standing lamp/magnifier. Best tool EVER for a needle-pointer.
I traveled with my husband on a business trip to California. At a darling shop in Los Gatos, I purchased a darling canvas of a raccoon sitting in a tree. When visiting my favorite Austin shop, I was told that I had one of six animal canvases available - which also matched the 4 canvases that framed the animals (all of which were in the same tree as my lonely raccoon). Unable to resist (or understand) temptation, I spent my hard earned teacher salary savings on the entire canvas collection. It was well over $1000 twenty years ago. I jumped into the project whole-heartedly. I completed the deer which sits on the ground, below the tree and almost finished the fox seated opposite. Nothing else. Not even that poor lonely raccoon. I know now the project was too overwhelming - too large - and without the skill level necessary, I choose stitches that kept the canvas boring and were slow to work. Tent stitching a background that massive is a deal-breaker. Someday? I don't know. I'd like to stitch things differently now. Maybe work on that raccoon that called out to me originally?
And then there were children...
A trip back to school for a Library Media Specialist Certification was the magic that made me want to work again. A quick year in Graduate School and a job in a forward-thinking district kept me distracted from hobbies. Needlepoint just wasn't a part of my life. My three years as a librarian convinced me that it was the perfect job - elements of teaching, but the ability to work with technology, a budget, children's books, and adults. The biological clock was ticking however.
As I discovered the gender of my first child, a boy, I felt a desire - if not a overwhelming obligation - to stitch a Christmas stocking. I found a darling snowman - not too childish and colorful. I got fantastic advice from a shop in Dallas and created the most darling stocking... ever. It is still my favorite of all things stitched. I've added it below this post...
Two years later, a little girl came into our lives and the desire - definite obligation - to make another stocking became apparent. This time was more difficult. I had a 2 year-old and newborn to keep me busy. I swore she would get it before she stopped believing in Santa. I am proud that it was complete for her 3rd Christmas. After that - I couldn't spare the time or energy!!
A NEW beginning.
It is 2012 and we are vacationing in San Diego, California. This is a "beach" year (alternates with mountain years). While trying to visit La Jolla, we are forced to take the ONLY parking place available - for ONE hour. That one hour will be our lunch time. And there it was.... Needle Nook of La Jolla. There were actually TWO shops - one for threads and classes, the other for canvases and accessories. A darling canvas from Maggie & Co. called "Guarding the City" of California-style homes on a hill was speaking to me... Reasonably priced (it was part of a Trunk sale), I bought it realizing something was missing in my life... Needlepoint.
Today, only nine months later, I have jumped back into needlepointing with both feet, both hands, my wallet and a credit card. The internet allows me to learn what is out there - stores, artists, fibers, accessories, books, etc. Facebook adds to that with the ability to connect with others around the world who know so much more than I do. It is a very VERY fulfilling hobby. Kids are older - lots of taxi driving and waiting for practice or rehearsal to end. It presents time for me to live and learn the world of modern needlepoint.
I've lost my mind. I can't believe all there is to learn. and buy... I've collected 70 canvases since that Needle Nook purchase. I have completed (and had finished) three. Ten are waiting for finishing. I have multiple works in progress - Nine in fact. And it hasn't been a year. I have a snazzy Vera Bradley tote that I use to lug my projects around, a cosmetic bag filled with the most amazing tools - laying tools, do-loddy, threaders, magnets and spool socks. I have gone from a library of maybe 8 books (many are the small June McNight books - but they cost just like real sized books) to probably 20 - not to mention all available books available as apps for my iPhone!!
Conversing with fellow Needlepoint Nuts, I have learned that my stash of 70 is the novice stage. So many have counts in the hundreds... Yes, HUNDREDS. I'm not sure how they can keep up with it (financially for sure) - how they prioritize. Certainly many of those purchases must be regretted. Some of mine indicate a lack of self-control and resistance - but not too many. I just photographed every single canvas I have - those finished - in progress - and waiting for attention. I really still LOVE each and every one of them. As long as my hands, fingers, wrists and eyes can manage, I will stitch every one of them with sheer joy.
NNN
(Nancy Needlepoint Novice)

No comments:
Post a Comment