Saturday, May 4, 2013

On the Go Projects



There was a post in Facebook the other day, from a woman who had neglected to carry some needlepoint with her on a trip.  When there was an unexpected delay, she sorely missed having a project to work on.  My comment to her was that it is a trade-off.  How many times do I lug my bag around - worse yet - the Needlework 4 stand or base and a magnified lamp - and never get the opportunity to stitch?

My mistake, I think now, is that I try to continue a "home" project on the run.  Projects that I take with me for filling in dead time or waiting ought to be a completely different category!!  Canvas size and mesh size being the driving factor in whether it is a "Stay" or "Go" project.

For example:

Stay:





Pretty large canvas - bulky - won't even fit in my giant tote bag.  Yes, I've taken it places like a fool.



Medium sized canvas - but has bead work!  Not a good idea.


Mary is finished now - but yes, I took her with me.  It was the first project I've ever done using a stitch guide.  Between the System 4 lap stand, magnified lamp and 8x10 directions, I looked like a fool!








Go:

Need a cool teal "over-dyed" silk and Kreinik to mix for the background.  Soft pink cashmere or faux fur for the ears and white angora or Fancy Fur for the head.  Black shiny Kreinik for the eyes and whiskers.   



Cute small stitch for the brown dog...  Maybe Alpaca so I can do more than a split stitch.  Fancy ribbon maybe for the bow?  How about a 3-D charm to attach?  


Some wide ribbon floss/fiber to make the outside ring of the flower.  All beads for center?  (Maybe this stays home?)  


Though difficult to gage the size of the canvas, I promise the rabbit canvas is largest and measures 4x4. 

As I pack for another overnight trip with IDC to Fort Worth, I think it is time to begin something small that can be deemed my "GO" project.  Time to dig through my stash and decide what I want to take and what I have fibers for...  





No comments:

Post a Comment